A fresh look at persistent poverty
This educational resource and workshop is aimed at educationalists, teachers and curriculum development specialists working at all levels of education in Ireland: – formal, informal and community. It provides wide access to a learning resource on poverty, including presentations by ATD Ireland community activistshighlighting the important voice of people with lived experience of poverty.
This educational tool seeks to raise awareness and open minds to the daily realities of poverty, mediated in part through the direct experiences and conversations of people in poverty. It enables a positive learning exchange of views and insights into this important contemporary issue in Irish society.
- To challenge what poverty means to me.
- To look at what it means to Leave No One Behind.
- To look afresh at poverty locally, nationally and internationally.
- To better understand that we must include the voice of people with direct experience of the poverty in any solution that is designed to help them.
- To understand that by virtue of an accident of birth or a lack of life opportunities, “I too could be living in deep poverty”.
Facilitating workshop discussions exploring the multi-dimensional nature of poverty.
Challenging contemporary society’s views on poverty and socio-economic discrimination.
Creating Space & Encouragment
Creating public spaces where people with direct experience of poverty, and socio-economic discrimination, contribute to, and encourage a constructive inclusive debate through their first-hand experience, collective knowledge and learnt expertise.